18th century colourful cottages & townhouses

18th century colourful cottages & townhouses in Cockermouth, Cumbria / The Lake District, UK | Emma Lamb

So yes, at last some pictures from our wee trip to the Lake District a couple of weeks ago - it's been a busy couple of weeks! Anyhow today I want to share a few colourful snaps from around the little town we stayed in...


18th century colourful cottages & townhouses in Cockermouth, Cumbria / The Lake District, UK | Emma Lamb

The place we stayed is the historic market town of Cockermouth on the western edge of the Lake District. Pausing for a sec until the cheeky giggles die down... I know. It's unfortunate. But the town sits on the mouth of the river Cocker and that's why it has it's called Cockermouth. It's likely that if you're not English speaking this will make no sense to you, but for all of you that are I thought I would give a wee explanation. And I am sure that for anyone who is in a fit of giggles it won't be helping that I keep typing Cockermouth for you to read.

Anyhow! We stayed at the Allerdale at the east end of main street amongst the colourful 18th century buildings of St. Helen's Street and the Kirkgate. A really, really pretty part of the town! It was such a joy to wake up to these colours every morning instead of the drab sandstone of the city.

18th century colourful cottages & townhouses in Cockermouth, Cumbria / The Lake District, UK | Emma Lamb
18th century colourful cottages & townhouses in Cockermouth, Cumbria / The Lake District, UK | Emma Lamb
18th century colourful cottages & townhouses in Cockermouth, Cumbria / The Lake District, UK | Emma Lamb
18th century colourful cottages & townhouses in Cockermouth, Cumbria / The Lake District, UK | Emma Lamb
18th century colourful cottages & townhouses in Cockermouth, Cumbria / The Lake District, UK | Emma Lamb

I think I spent an hour one morning snapping details and colours along St. Helen's Street and I loved that the further I went the wonkier and shabbier the buildings got. It almost felt as through I was going back in time. Some of these buildings (or at least parts of them) are close to 250 years old and have settled a little over the centuries. Roof lines aren't level anymore, chimney stacks lean over, corner walls seems to bulge disconcertingly in places and window frames have twisted in all directions. See the little red and white house below? I don't think there's a true vertical or horizontal line on it! That one is my favourite, I marvel every time I see it!

18th century colourful cottages & townhouses in Cockermouth, Cumbria / The Lake District, UK | Emma Lamb
18th century colourful cottages & townhouses in Cockermouth, Cumbria / The Lake District, UK | Emma Lamb
18th century colourful cottages & townhouses in Cockermouth, Cumbria / The Lake District, UK | Emma Lamb

Even inside the Allerdale where we stayed the floor and ceiling were all a bit wonky too. The main staircase leading up to the rooms had that distinctive sloping in the centre. If you're wondering it was a decent place to stay. Maybe a little old fashioned inside (80s/90s old fashioned instead of a lovely historic vibe), especially in the old part of the building at the front where our room was. But it was clean and friendly and the full Cumbrian breakfasts every morning were great - Cumberland ring sausage, two rashers of bacon, black pudding, two eggs cooked to your preference, tomatoes, beans and mushrooms with tea and toast! Fantastic!! Plus the £5 per night fee for Spanner was brilliant. The Lake District is dog country after all so the wee man has to come along too :)

Emma, x

Follow me! Follow my pins! Follow me on Instagram Follow me on Twitter Follow me on Ravelry Subscribe to my posts via Bloglovin Subscribe to my posts via RSS

12 comments

  1. Great colours....lots of crochet inspiration Emma! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, such cheerful & happy colors !! And such clean streets ! I want to live there !!!! Your photos are superb, thank you so much for sharing them with us all !
    Definitely a place we want to visit ... someday !
    oxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of the streets around the Lake District are beautifully clean, a very refreshing change from the dusty and often grotty city streets I can tell you!
      Sonia, you would love the whole Lake District, it is a beautiful part of the UK.
      xx

      Delete
  3. Thanks for taking us along, Emma. What fun pictures. And, the giggles. Thanks also for your advice on mixing in some blue, green and red to help temper the pink. I've already decided against changing the curtains (for now) so that may be just what I need. Appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thrilled you enjoyed the journey Rachel :)

      I was thinking, if you have a vintage Pyrex collection, displaying more of them might work - I'm thinking of the plain colours not so much the floral ones, that might be a bit ott! But the plain colours can be a little more masculine and a good balance to your pink loveliness :)

      xx

      Delete
  4. Beautiful.it looks like a fairy tale :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The colors are so pretty. I could walk around all day there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantastic place! Going on my summer "to visit" list right now! :D xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a pretty place - love those gelati coloured houses!!
    Glad you could all (including the lovely spanner) enjoy a nice & probably much needed? break.
    Oh and that brekkie description :) tummy rumbles . . . . . . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Emma its a stunning place. Your so lucky :) I desperately want to go on a break this year but can't afford to, so going to make the most of home. Its beautiful though, I love all the pastel colours :) Hope your break has done you the world of good, safxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful pictures and what a beautiful town! I love all the colors. It reminds me of San Francisco, California here in the US. There is a famous stretch of close knit [no pun intended :)] Victorian style homes there that are referred to as "Painted Ladies". Very similar colors, in fact.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thank you so much for visiting my blog!

I would love for you to join in the discussion and share your opinions but please do your utmost to keep all comments polite and constructive. Please do not use this comments section as a way of self promotion, such comments will be considered as spam and will not be published.

I shall do my best to answer any questions when I am able but if you have any urgent enquiries please do email me at - emmallamb [at] gmail [dot] com

Emma