delicious yarn : Gomitoli's Spring Cashmere

Spring Cashmere yarn by Gomitoli's in the mood for knitting | reviewed by Emma Lamb

These last few days I've had the opportunity to play with a lovely luxury spring yarn from the Italian brand Gomitoli's in the mood for knitting. It's their Spring Cashmere which is actually a 60% cotton, 20% cashmere and 20% silk blended yarn. I do prefer to work with pure fibre blends but am always on the look out for interesting cotton blends especially (cotton acrylic blends just don't cut it for me). So when Gomitoli's offered to let me try this yarn I was really keen to get it on my hooks and give it a go!


Spring Cashmere yarn by Gomitoli's in the mood for knitting | reviewed by Emma Lamb

As you might expect this yarn feels a lot softer than some pure cotton blends because of the silk and cashmere in there. It has a slightly more 'woolly' look too, none of that sheen that the mercerised cottons have but more of a natural look as in many of the organic cottons available.

This Spring Cashmere is a chainette style yarn - one lace weight thread chained (exactly as you would create a foundation chain in crochet) to create a 4ply weight. The slightly nubby texture of this construction took a little getting used to as I generally choose to work with smooth, plied yarns for the stitch definition they give. Although that certainly wouldn't put me off working with this yarn, not at all! I think if you choose your project wisely you will get some very pretty results. My doily might not have been quite the right project (I still need to block it, so that might change) but it would perfect for light summer wearables because it is so soft and lightweight. If your tension and construction aren't too tight it will give you a lovely drape in your fabric, I've yet to try a knitted sample but I imagine that would be the same if not better!

Spring Cashmere yarn by Gomitoli's in the mood for knitting | reviewed by Emma Lamb
Spring Cashmere yarn by Gomitoli's in the mood for knitting | reviewed by Emma Lamb

I got to play around with a 50g ball of coral and white but this yarn also comes in a small but good collection of pretty spring colours, slightly muted vintage pastels are how I would describe them. Here are a few I've got my eye on but you can see more over at Gomitoli's website.

Selection of colours of Spring Cashmere yarn by Gomitoli's in the mood for knitting | reviewed by Emma Lamb

Do let me know in the comments if you've tried this yarn yourself, what you thought of it and how you have used it. I'm thinking it would make a cute delicate crochet shawls for late summer evenings...

Emma, x

Follow me! Follow my pins! Follow me on Instagram Follow me on Twitter Follow me on Ravelry Subscribe to my posts via Bloglovin Subscribe to my posts via RSS

5 comments

  1. Beautiful, really beautiful Emma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emma, thank you for the introduction to this intriguing yarn. I had not previously every known the brand.

    Your photo of the doily and commentary encourage me to consider trying the blend.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely! I love the way finer yarns drape and lay! I am always on the hunt for some delicate, draping yarns. Love the colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice one Emma :) Always on the look-out for beautiful cottons. Thanks. Kx

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thank you so much for visiting my blog!

I would love for you to join in the discussion and share your opinions but please do your utmost to keep all comments polite and constructive. Please do not use this comments section as a way of self promotion, such comments will be considered as spam and will not be published.

I shall do my best to answer any questions when I am able but if you have any urgent enquiries please do email me at - emmallamb [at] gmail [dot] com

Emma