colour palette : tulips are better when they're dead

tulips are better when they're dead | Emma Lamb

For me enjoying a vase of flowers isn't just about watching them go from bud to beautiful bloom, it's more about watching their full life cycle and the transformation they undergo from bud to wilted death. I suppose it's the same as people who appreciate the beauty in dead butterflies or birds... *shudder* ...but maybe a little less morbid!


These tulips are the ones from last week just as they were beginning to die. Tulips are one of my favourites because as they begin to go the petals thin and become translucent, they twist and contort into the most amazing shapes as they take on a whole new beauty. I love how the veins remain and you get to see their skeletal structure. If you're very lucky you can get them to dry out leaving incredibly delicate but perfectly papery petals... I wasn't so lucky with these ones, but they were gorgeous nonetheless!

tulips are better when they're dead | Emma Lamb
tulips are better when they're dead | Emma Lamb
tulips are better when they're dead | Emma Lamb
tulips are better when they're dead | Emma Lamb
tulips are better when they're dead | Emma Lamb
tulips are better when they're dead | Emma Lamb

Emma, x

Follow me! Follow my pins! Follow me on Instagram Follow me on Twitter Follow me on Ravelry Subscribe to my posts via Bloglovin Subscribe to my posts via RSS

17 comments

  1. I do the same thing. Love the tulip life cycle. The husband on the other hand is always asking 'when are you going to throw away the dead flowers?!' ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, Carina, I am pleased I am not the only one! Most of my friends and relatives think I'm just a lazy housekeeper ;) x

      Delete
  2. Ooh!! Your images are absolutely gorgeous, I've officially be enchanted:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ayda! They are mesmerising and beautiful... enchanting is such a prefect word for them :) x

      Delete
  3. I've never really thought about them this way. My husband bought me tulips just the other day. Now I'm curious to watch them as they slowly fade away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emma, I completely agree with you about enjoying the beauty of tulips' transformations. Every single stage is so intriguing.

    You've encouraged me to bring some tulips home with me from my errand run today.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photos! My dying proteas just don't look as good.
    *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm totally with you on this :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also enjoy beauty in decay, and your macros are divine, my friend. So much texture & depth ! Just stunning !
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. they're so pretty! i always keep my roses way past when most people would throw them out-i find them beautiful : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so love them so much that I will share your post. Can I?
    ;)

    Love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katia! Yes, please do :) x

      Delete
  10. Tulips are the best! Wonderful pictures!
    Marian

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful photos! More like a little work of art than dead flowers.
    Sheila
    http://sheilazachariae.blogspot.com/2014/02/knit-socks-on-straight-needles-and.html

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thank you so much for visiting my blog!

I would love for you to join in the discussion and share your opinions but please do your utmost to keep all comments polite and constructive. Please do not use this comments section as a way of self promotion, such comments will be considered as spam and will not be published.

I shall do my best to answer any questions when I am able but if you have any urgent enquiries please do email me at - emmallamb [at] gmail [dot] com

Emma