studio details : diffusing the light

studio details : diffusing the light | Emma Lamb

It's been a busy day photographing in my studio today, the winter light has been lovely in here. Sunny but not too harsh. That lovely winter sun that seems to bathe everything in clean light, you know? Even though the light was so gentle I still needed to diffuse it a wee bit and to do that I used my old faithful embroidered tablecloth.


It's perfect because it's such a bright white colour. I've found it in a charity shop so many years ago now, and before that I think it must have served time in a home that held many a dinner party, or possibly a restaurant or hotel around Edinburgh? I don't know, but whatever it's story it has been well used and washed so many times, probably boil washed since the cutwork stitching has become so brittle and fragile. I have to be very careful handling it these days as it will tear so easily. It spends most of it's time hiding a suitcase that sits by my desk, but every now and then it is called to action to help me with my work. I adore how the light highlights it's embroidery and cutwork, it completely reverses how it would usually look. The white stitching becomes dark and shadowy while the cutwork blazes a little trail of light across the fabric. So pretty.

studio details : diffusing the light | Emma Lamb
studio details : diffusing the light | Emma Lamb

You can see a much larger version with more detail if you click on each image, worth a peek for the corner detail especially.

Emma, x

Follow me! Follow my pins! Follow me on Instagram Follow me on Twitter Follow me on Ravelry Subscribe to my posts via Bloglovin Subscribe to my posts via RSS

6 comments

  1. What a brilliant & beautiful way to display such a lovely tablecloth ! It looks splendid !
    We're not as lucky and are experiencing the greyiest, darkest month of January ever ! And way too mild for January too.
    Wishing you a fabulous rest of the week !
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It shows it off to it's best, doesn't it!? I love that the light behind the embroidery adds another dimension to it's beauty... which I know is something you love to dearest Sonia! I still have one of your postcards to prove it :)
      It's grey and wet here in Edinburgh today but not too chilly so not all bad. I hope the sun finds it's way to you soon, even if it's only a day as it was here.
      Happy Friday and hugs to you and Gary! xxx

      Delete
  2. Beautiful photography, looking forward to hearing what it was you were photographing all day. Intrigued x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have quite a few vintage table cloths, they are all so beautifully handmade. These photos are lovely. Have a great weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting post, Emma. Light certainly changes everything. I used to work in a diffused space that made all my photos so easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Rachel! You're right, light controls how we see everything and especially how we perceive colour. It's fun to play with it when we're taking pictures but so tricky to control when we need it to do something 'just so'.
      Happy New Year to you my dear friend :) xx

      Delete

Hello and thank you so much for visiting my blog!

I would love for you to join in the discussion and share your opinions but please do your utmost to keep all comments polite and constructive. Please do not use this comments section as a way of self promotion, such comments will be considered as spam and will not be published.

I shall do my best to answer any questions when I am able but if you have any urgent enquiries please do email me at - emmallamb [at] gmail [dot] com

Emma