January crochet

January crochet / © emma lamb

As part of my grand plan to get back to the roots of why I enjoy creating and doing more to nurture my creativity I'm plan to do more stuff just for fun. To simply enjoy my craft and create without limitation. Limitations such as those nagging questions that pop into your head when you're in the middle of your creative flow and throw doubt over all your ideas. You know - Will this be a viable product? Will someone want to buy it? Will I make any profit on it? Blah, blah, blah. Well right now I'll be ignoring all those and reminding myself that I'm making simply because I enjoy making.


January crochet / © emma lamb

I remember when I first started blogging (over five years ago, eep!) it was to do the very same thing I'm doing now, to reconnect with my creativity. Back then I was laying the foundations for a new creative path, the path I'm walking today, but I didn't know it then. For all I know I could be doing the very same thing right now, but at the moment I don't want to think about that. At the moment I'm just remembering how much fun I used to have creating and and taking pretty pics of my makes for my blog. It was a pure and simple process that really worked for me so I'm using it again.

The first make on my hook for 2014 is this lovely pillow from the Woman's Weekly Vintage Patterns magazine, a 'best of' collection of reworked patterns from their archives. This crochet pillow design was originally released in 1974 but has been reworked and restyled for 2014. Isn't it pretty? I love seeing vintage crochet patterns and ideas rejuvenated with updates like this, they have such a timeless beauty that deserves to be celebrated and enjoyed.

Woman's Weekly, Best of our... Vintage Patterns and Knitting & Crochet / © emma lamb

For 2014 Woman's Weekly have launched their new Knitting magazine and the first issue has a whole bunch of cute heart themed makes as well as some lovely rustic knits. You can see a wee bit more about it here and the digital version is available on Google Play if you can't find a copy locally. There are a bunch of things I'd like to try from each of these magazines once I've finished my bobbly pillow, that is if I decide to keep it a bobbly pillow because at the moment I'm thinking it would make a pretty amazing potholder too! What do you think?

pillow or potholder?/ © emma lamb

Emma, x

17 comments :

  1. OMG I love this pattern:)In Poland we don't have such lovely magazine :(:(:( I'm very sad:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a brilliant plan... and what a gorgeous project to start with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is absolutely gorgeous and I really want to hook this pattern too! The colour and yarn you are using fit the pattern exquisitely, taking it to another level altogether.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice pattern, very pretty! Heather x

    ReplyDelete
  5. When this pattern was new, I made them for everybody I knew. I'm not a very proficient crocheter (is that a word?), but I remember that these were fun, fast and pretty easy to make. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that looks really lovely!x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Emma, what you expressed about what you truly do enjoy about blogging is very akin to my own motivation and feelings about the wonders that blogging offers us to give and receive.

    And then...you show us this wonderful popcorn/bobble stitch beauty that takes me back to a big crochet project of my own way back in the last century. I bought a lot of basic white cotton crochet yarn from the now long gone Woolworth's store in downtown (not Downton) Brooklyn, and began crocheting a bedspread pattern while my boyfriend and I began our marathon watch of the Congressional Watergate Hearings. If you google Richard Nixon, the then President, you will get an idea of the scale of this historic period, and just how much crochet time these televised hearings provided for me and my cotton string and crochet hook.

    Nixon was impeached. I just about finished the crocheted spread, broke up with the boyfriend, and had many other adventures as time and history moved on.

    Emma...surely you don't get a comment like this every time!

    May I thank you for heading me down that particular memory lane and also for giving us the link to the vintage designs in that magazine.

    Best wishes for more crocheting adventures in 2014. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frances, your comments are always such a huge pleasure to read!

      How lovely that my little piece of crochet has triggered such memories for you! I think it is utterly wonderful the memories our creative projects can hold for us, we don't realise it at the time but with every stitch we're weaving in thoughts and feelings. I tend to watch a lot of films when I crochet so certain designs or pieces make me think of those. With this little piece of crochet I watched Midnight in Paris for the first time, so every time I've picked up my hook for it I've thought of that film and felt that feeling of gentle nostalgia has washed over me.

      I do hope you still have the bedspread!? To think that it will have outlasted Woolworths and a boyfriend is just too interesting!

      Have a lovely day my dear... xx

      Delete
  8. What beautiful, beautiful crochet, Emma! Thanks for sharing your sentiments about enjoying and celebrating your creativity without all the "blah, blah, blah". I know that "blah" like the back of my hand. =) Yes, it can be wearying for sure. Enjoy this time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my dear Rachel! It feels so good to be ignoring the 'blah' ... I highly recommend it :) xx

      Delete
  9. I have to say I'm biased but I think a potholder would be good! ;) you know Emma, I understand what you mean about those annoying 'business' questions that pop into your head when your making and ruining your creative enjoyment, I think it will do you the world of good to 'empty your head' of those and just enjoy your making this year :) I'm no expert but im sure the crochet pieces you make will always appeal to your customers, they always appeal to me! This make is beautiful :) I'm so pleased you are enjoying it, safxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I do know you Saffa and obviously I knew you would side with the potholder ;)

      I have to say the more I work on this pattern the more I think how stunning the potholder would be. The grey in this is lovely and I originally picked it for a cushion to go on our new sofa, but for a potholder I'd really like it to be cream or white... so you know what I'm going to say next right!? Yep, I'll have to make at least two ;)

      Thank you for you support Saffa, it is always encouraging to hear your thoughts! Have a lovely day... xxx

      Delete
  10. This is a gorgeous pattern and I think you're right it would make a lovely potholder or coasters and placemats! I do also love the cushion! I didn't know womans weekly had done this, I'll need to check it out!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thank you so much for visiting my wee blog!

I would love for you to join in the discussion and share your opinions but please do your utmost to keep all comments polite and constructive. Please do not use this comments section as a way of self promotion, such comments will be considered as spam and will be deleted.

I shall do my best to answer any questions when I am able but if you have any urgent enquiries please do email me at - emmallamb [at] gmail [dot] com

Wishing you a fabulous day!
Emma, x