good reads : Woodland Knits, a Tiny Owl Knits collection by Stephanie Dosen

The Crafty Magazine blog tour : Woodland Knits, a Tiny Owl Knits collection by Stephanie Dosen | Emma Lamb

When Crafty Magazine got in touch a couple of weeks ago to ask if I would like to be part of their blog tour and review Stephanie Dosen's new book Woodland Knits, I couldn't say 'YES!' fast enough! Stephanie is a super talented lady, as well as being a singer-songwriter (working with incredible groups such as Massive Attack and Chemical Brothers, appearing on Later...with Jools Holland and releasing her own albums!) she is a passionate knitter and is constantly adding to her popular collection of designs under the name Tiny Owl Knits. If you haven't yet heard of Stephanie or Tiny Owl Knits I am sure you will have stumbled across her fabulous Bee Keeper's Quilt design on your travels around blogland!?


good reads : Woodland Knits, a Tiny Owl Knits collection by Stephanie Dosen / book review by Emma Lamb

Woodland Knits brings together a gorgeous collection of Stephanie's most loved designs including Mr Fox Stole My Heart, Catching Butterflies, Bo Peep Scarf, Woodland Hoodlet and Deer with Little Antlers hat as well as some brand new ones such as the Garden Gate & Ivy cowl and The Changeling Collar. Out of the twenty one patterns there are a few I will happily cast on, Bo Peep is already on my needles and I'm loving this simple yet sweet bow tie style scarf. In my photos you can see the Juniper Wishing Scarf hand knit by my Mam in a gorgeous grey, although she insisted that the cables were 'going the wrong way' it was a quick and easy knit and it will be a great scarf for me for the coming winter. Next on my list would be the super sweet Catching Butterflies hand warmers and maybe the Woodland Hoodlet, minus the hood I think it will make a fab winter wrap!

Alongside these simpler patterns are more elaborate designs that include colour work and felting techniques - I love the look of the Spirit of the Birch, such a great scarf design! Out of the twenty one designs featured I would say half have a broad appeal and can be easily adapted to suit your own taste and style while the other half are a wee bit more niche. Not that that is a bad thing, far from it! Although a few of the designs are a wee bit out there (in my opinion) - such as the Moonbeam Duster, Dragon Watcher's Hood and Midsummer Night's Dream hood - they perfectly add to the theme of the book and reflect Stephanie's wonderfully unique style.

I have to say though, before getting to grips with any of the patterns I was first stuck by the gorgeous styling and beautiful presentation, from start to finish the attention to detail is what makes this book a beautiful object in it's own right. The muted woodland colours and photography (by Tiffany Mumford) set the scene perfectly as well as the leafy patterned edges of the pages, I love that detailing so much! Not to mention the helpful tips and Stephanie's cute notes printed in hand written style fonts, oh and the super sweet 'Owl' experience gauge!

good reads : Woodland Knits, a Tiny Owl Knits collection by Stephanie Dosen / book review by Emma Lamb

All in all I think Woodland Knits is a gorgeous knitting book with great designs. It is beautifully presented and with the often fleeting nature of blogs and digital patterns it is lovely to hold a piece of Stephanie's enchanting and magical world in my hands. I love it! Of course the woodland theme is bang on trend this season so this is a very well timed release. If you need a Fawn Poncho or a Mr Fox Stole My Heart collar in your life this winter, then I highly recommend adding this gorgeous wee book to your library!

For more about the Woodland Knits blog tour check out Crafty Magazine's review and interview with Stephanie from Monday, Emma Varnam's review from yesterday and keep a wee eye on the following blogs for more reviews this week...

Thursday: Sincerely Louise by Louise Walker
Friday: Guthrie & Ghani by Lauren Guthrie
Saturday: Slugs on the Refrigerator by Kat Goldin

More from Stephanie Dosen and Tiny Owl Knits: blog - ravelry - etsy - facebook - twitter

Emma, x

Follow me! Follow my pins! Follow me on Instagram Follow me on Twitter Follow me on Ravelry Subscribe to my posts via Bloglovin Subscribe to my posts via RSS

2 comments

  1. She has such a lovely, cozy style, I wish I could knit or crochet ... Her book looks wonderful ! ox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it's such a shame you don't knit or crochet yet dearest Sonia, I know you would love it and this book! x

      Delete

Hello and thank you so much for visiting my blog!

I would love for you to join in the discussion and share your opinions but please do your utmost to keep all comments polite and constructive. Please do not use this comments section as a way of self promotion, such comments will be considered as spam and will not be published.

I shall do my best to answer any questions when I am able but if you have any urgent enquiries please do email me at - emmallamb [at] gmail [dot] com

Emma