shoptalk : retro kitchen colours

At last I can show you some of the custom pieces I've been working on recently, a fabulous collection of 'retro kitchen' themed pot holders and Forever Flower Garlands. The brief started with the colours of the vintage buttons I used to fasten my tiny squares, Agnes cushion cover from last year. Bright red, sky blue, jade green and bubblegum pink with lashings of cream - a very pretty 1940/50s vibe...

Recent custom work, a fabulous retro kitchen collection of pot holders and Forever Flower Garlands. | Emma Lamb

My wonderful client gave me the freedom to work with this idea to make a wee collection that is both fresh and pretty but with that all important retro vibe. It was easy in a way as this colour palette does most of the work itself. Red, cream and blue are a classic vintage combination and when you get them in the right proportions they make magic together!


It was so excited about crocheting these pot holders because I knew they would look amazing, although the whole time I was kicking myself for not thinking of creating pot holders with these colours myself! They turned out just as I imagined and I love them so much. It was hard to part with them in the end but as soon as I did I started work on some similar ideas for myself, at last I have made a start on my own wee pot holder wall. Yippee!

For the two matching garlands my client requested I knew I wanted to do something a wee bit different to my regular Forever Flower Garlands. I wanted to mix up the colours a wee bit more than usual so I revisited my Festive Flower Garland design from last Christmas. I added a snippet of pale gold to the colour mix and some of those fabulous vintage buttons I love so much and... *eeep* ...two Retro Fabulous Flower Garlands were born!

Recent custom work, a fabulous retro kitchen collection of pot holders and Forever Flower Garlands. | Emma Lamb

Aren't they gorgeous!? This is why custom projects are so much fun to work on, the results are always amazing and I always feel so inspired by them. They are such a great way for me to see my work through another person's eyes and get a fresh perspective on my ideas. It's also a really great way to teach yourself to be flexible and step outside your bubble of creativity, which is great as there are some beautiful things out there just waiting to be discovered!

Currently I'm working on some new ideas that I've been itching to get my hooks into, however I am taking custom order bookings for September onwards. Just drop me a note to chat about your ideas.

Emma,

Follow me! Follow my pins! Follow me on Instagram Follow me on Twitter Follow me on Ravelry Subscribe to my posts via Bloglovin Subscribe to my posts via RSS

15 comments

  1. Makes me homesick for my childhood days..x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the things you do!you really inspired me a lot!kisses

    ReplyDelete
  3. New-ish reader here. :)

    I love the whole kitchen set! You did quite a beautiful job capturing the whole "retro" theme.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are amazing!
    When i was a child mom always used at our kitchen her lovely handmade things, so happy still lots of people likes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Precioso. Sinceramente.

    Saludos y buena tarde.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The garlands are gorgeous. Just love them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So well done! The large, cream circular potholder with the tiny red/blue trim is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too, I love that one so much! Thank you my dear friend. xx

      Delete
  8. Emma, your commissioned colourways are perfect. As always, your crocheting is also perfect!

    Someone's kitchen is going to be very chic.

    Are you able to get to any of the Fringe or the rest of the Festival?

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much dearest Frances!

      Unfortunately not just now, I'm a wee bit limited with some Sciatic pain just now so can't do nearly as much as I would like to. Hoping to see a physiotherapist soon to get help and get moving again...

      xx

      Delete
  9. Just lovely ...i love how you balanced the retro look and keeping it current at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love them all! very retro...your client must be very happy.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thank you so much for visiting my blog!

I would love for you to join in the discussion and share your opinions but please do your utmost to keep all comments polite and constructive. Please do not use this comments section as a way of self promotion, such comments will be considered as spam and will not be published.

I shall do my best to answer any questions when I am able but if you have any urgent enquiries please do email me at - emmallamb [at] gmail [dot] com

Emma