whitby : the perfect british seaside town

Whitby: one of the most picture perfect seaside towns in the UK, according to me at least... :) | Emma Lamb

This summer I got to do something I've not done since I was a wee girl. Never mind exotic trips to far flung places where you're guaranteed glorious sunshine and a bronze tan if you wish... Give me a day trip to Whitby for some authentic Fish 'n' Chips by the seaside and I'm a very happy girl indeed... :)


As I said it's probably been at least 25 years since my last visit here and my memories are mostly of those fabulous wee gift shops where you can buy almost any size or shape of trinket box you could imagine just so long as it encrusted with seashells! I remember the stunning ruined abbey on the cliff top, the whale bone arch and of course the delicious Fish 'n' Chips... ;)

Whitby: one of the most picture perfect seaside towns in the UK, according to me at least... :) | Emma Lamb
Gorgeous Georgian architecture in Whitby | Emma Lamb

Beyond that I was really seeing this picture perfect seaside town for the first time and learning of it's lengthy history and rich cultural heritage...
It's sailing heritage with Captain Cook learning his trade here and where many of his ships were built.
It's religious past, the first monastery was built on the site of the abbey in AD 657, and fishing heritage, whaling was big here from the middle ages which is why they have the famous whale jawbone arch.
The Romans and Victorians prized the locally mined Jet, known as Whitby Jet, for their jewellery. This gorgeous black stone is still prized today and there are tons of beautiful wee jewellers with some gorgeous collections.
Not to mention it's literary links, anyone a fan of Bram Stoker's Dracula!? In the book the vampire sailed to Britain and landed in Whitby... so maybe if you're out and about after dark here you'll want to keep your garlic and crucifix handy!? But if you get caught out I'm sure a couple of sticks of candy rock with some 'Whitby' lettering through the middle could be fashioned into a crude cross shape... ;)

Literary links: in Bram Stoker's novel Dracula the vampire sailed to Britain and landed in Whitby | Emma Lamb

Emma, x

Follow me! Follow my pins! Follow me on Instagram Follow me on Twitter Follow me on Ravelry Subscribe to my posts via Bloglovin Subscribe to my posts via RSS

17 comments

  1. Wooo! I went to Whitby two years ago and it really IS the perfect seaside town! I loved Whitby Abbey, and took some AMAZING pictures there. What a wonderful place to roam around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! for Whitby... :)
      Brianna, did you post your abbey pictures online? I'd love to see them... :)
      xx

      Delete
  2. such a fantastic place!!!
    xxx Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so lucky - I only live 20 miles north of Whitby...I love the North Yorkshire coast line...xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Vicky, you and lovely Jane (tea with Ruby) are making me quite jealous today... ;)
      I would love to explore more of that coastline too. I grew up on the Co.Durham coast and adore all of those beaches, there is just so much character and history in this part of our wee island!
      xx

      Delete
  4. despite all the sun in spain
    your fabulous post makes me homesick
    for simple british pleasures...
    {i would love for you to share this post
    at mine where i have a giveaway/link delight
    all about summer hilights...}
    hoping to see you soon/don't mean to be pushy
    cheeerio x ... ***

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun little tour! So, I know this probably seems silly, but what are those little bright huts by the shore used for? I haven't seen something like that before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Rachel, those are wee beach huts... they're traditionally used for privacy while changing into your bathing suit. Once upon a time you would just rent one while you were at the beach but now they're highly prized wee properties.
      I just found a great wee link here - http://www.beach-huts.com/history-of-beach-huts.php - that tells you the history of them. Absolutely fascinating and well worth a wee read... :)
      xx

      Delete
  6. seriously my favourite seaside spot since the big move to yorkshire. i love it in winter ;) great shots as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, Whitby in winter... what a treat that would be! I would love to see it in the snow, you must share some pictures sometime Miss TanyaMac... :) xx

      Delete
  7. I don't think I've been for over 25 years either Emma, I took my French husband to Whitby when we'd just met. Thanks for the trip down memory lane :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how beautiful! I've always wanted to visit here too. I have a Whitby Jet brooch actually which I just treasure. Thanks for sharing these photos Emma :) Kx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how wonderful Kylie, you have a brooch... do drop me a wee note if you ever post any pictures!
      I really wanted a pair of stud earrings but the price was just a wee bit beyond my budget just now... will be saving up though!
      xx

      Delete
  9. Thank u Emma for a trip down memory lane��we lived in glaisdale for a no of years and my son .. Now 30.. Was born in Whitby hospital..
    We now live I Australia so it was special to read you blog today.. Memories came flooding back����

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful post with some great photos. I love Whitby.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. It must be 25 years ago that I went to Whitby - must go again soon. Next week I'm off to another lovely seaside town - Scarborough. I love the British seaside.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thank you so much for visiting my blog!

I would love for you to join in the discussion and share your opinions but please do your utmost to keep all comments polite and constructive. Please do not use this comments section as a way of self promotion, such comments will be considered as spam and will not be published.

I shall do my best to answer any questions when I am able but if you have any urgent enquiries please do email me at - emmallamb [at] gmail [dot] com

Emma