colour palette : tweedy stitches

colour palette : tweedy stitches, curated by Emma Lamb / photograph © emma lamb

Oh, hello Friday!
I must confess to being in a state of sleepy stupor today... one of those days when the minute you get out of bed in the morning you can't wait till the end of the day so you can crawl right back in again. One of those days when you really wish it was the weekend and you could have a lazy morning tucked up under the covers... *sigh*

So anyhoo, I am a wee bit slow off the mark with today's colour palette, but as I am quite chuffed with my crocheting ways this week I didn't want to put this one off. I'm crocheting a new wee rug for our hallway, nothing special really but I am quite chuffed with it for a couple of reasons. Not only do I adore the tweedy look from doubling up the yarn I'm using and of course these pretty muted colour palette worthy colours, but I am also quite pleased with myself for finally finding use for a huge stash of Rowan Silk Cotton I've had sitting around my studio for longer than I care to mention (okay, years!). I bagged myself 70 balls of it, at 80p each, in a John Lewis sale thinking I had found myself a massive yarnie bargain. Little did I realise that it was only supposed to be dry cleaned, it felt a lot like rope and didn't seem like it would be much cop for anything!

So as I said it has sat around my studio for a while... *ahem* ...it refusing to be useful and me refusing to admit defeat and pass it on. Then a couple of nights ago I was thinking about a new rug for our hallway, a practical rug that could be thrown in the washing machine for easy regular cleaning - you'll know what I mean if you too have a dog with very hairy feet that brings in more mud than ever during the soggy autumn months! Hey presto, this yarn pops into my head along with my chunky Brittany hook, which I love to work with, and off I go crocheting lovely tweedy stripes.

Okay so the smart cookies amongst you will be thinking 'I though she said that yarn is only dry cleanable!?' Ah, well, yes. I know from a wee test swatch that this yarn will wash fine, okay it will shrink and fade a wee bit on the first go and will probably fade more over time but I have made my peace with that! I'm sure one day it will look less than spiffy and when that day comes I will be armed with a packet of dye and a tub of salt! But for now I am loving my tweedy stitches and muted autumn shades.

Wishing you all a wonderful weekend, whatever you may be up to,
Emma, x

Follow me! Follow my pins! Follow me on Instagram Follow me on Twitter Follow me on Ravelry Subscribe to my posts via Bloglovin Subscribe to my posts via RSS

12 comments

  1. Beautiful colours! But that looks like an awfully small crochet hook to make a rug! Even if the rug is 'wee'. Looks like a lot of work...Can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you dear Lois... !

    The hook is 6.5mm and two strands of this DK yarn come out quite chunky... it's still going to be a lot of stitches to do but worth it I think.
    Plus the rug will shrink and bulk up a wee bit when I wash it so I think it will be okay. Although if it still feels a bit flimsy after that I might add a backing of some sort... I'll see how it goes, but I am loving how it looks just now... :)

    Have a fab weekend my dear,
    Emma, x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks very pretty - will be fun to see the finished results. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's looking lovely so far! Don't forget to post photos of it all finished in the hall! Can't wait to see that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's looking lovely, the colours are great! Wish I could think of something to do with all those balls of yarn I've bought and then wondered why!!!
    The colour palette is great especially the first column. :)
    Have a good weekend Emma!
    Vivienne x

    ReplyDelete
  6. The whole dry clean only business drives me to distraction. Good for you for figuring out how to get around it. Love the colours on this and think it will fade beautifully. C.x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea to use from your stash. And such a lovely rug. I am sure it will look gorgeous when done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, tweedy stitches! These are the things that I would never think to try if it wasn't for the internet. Glad you found a use for your collection of yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Emma, when I read this post and looked at the photos of the tweedy effect of the tight crocheting, I knew that you had made a wonderful choice of yarn for this particular project.

    And then. I see what a bargain you found. Wow! Isn't it grand to trust one's instincts and just go for it, knowing that eventually your imagination will supply the perfect purpost for a particular yarn.

    (I say this as someone who is still finding gems of yarn I bought in London back in the Thatcher era. Yes, it is true.)

    I also love the idea of testing out the proscribed washing instructions. Dry cleaning ... not very often around here.

    Your posts are always a delight. Your mom's knitting is sublime.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can understand why you are so chugged with this-it looks gorgeous, and at that price for the yarn, a bargain to boot! I often see stunning projects on places like the purl soho blog, but am absolutely gobsmacked when I see how much the project (using their yarn) would cost. Love me a bargain, I do. I actually suspect that the more you wash this the more "shabby chic" faded it will become. Can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How divine! I am having lots of fun working with tweedy yarns at the moment, it's making the end of summer far more bearable.. Good luck with your lovely rug, Hx

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thank you so much for visiting my blog!

I would love for you to join in the discussion and share your opinions but please do your utmost to keep all comments polite and constructive. Please do not use this comments section as a way of self promotion, such comments will be considered as spam and will not be published.

I shall do my best to answer any questions when I am able but if you have any urgent enquiries please do email me at - emmallamb [at] gmail [dot] com

Emma