shoptalk: the Selvedge Spring Fair

My stall at The Selvedge Spring Fair 2011 by Emma Lamb

Hello my dears! Thank you for being so patient in waiting to hear all the gossip from the Selvedge Spring Fair. Yesterday was filled with of all sorts of nonsense including trying to arrange a plumber to fix a leaky bath, I'm still waiting and hoping they will be here soon. Anyhoo, the fair... It was such a fabulous day, hugely busy and hectic and filled with lots of friends and chatting and sending a few of my ladies off to their forever homes with some very lovely folk. It kinda whizzed by in a wee bit of a blur, which left my head spinning and with very few photos of the day...


I arrived at 8am to start setting up my wee table in St. Augustine's beautiful church hall, which the Selvedge ladies had decorated with purple and white pom-poms and some of Amy Butler's lovely fabrics. The wee tea area, just behind my table and those old crates, looked very pretty and springy especially so once all the yummy cakes had arrived. No pics I'm afraid, I had my table set up just in the nick of time for the doors to open so it was a mad dash just to snap these pictures. But you can pop by the High Tea of Highgate website and check out their mouth watering gallery for a sampling of the gorgeous cakes that were on offer.

My stall at The Selvedge Spring Fair 2011 by Emma Lamb
My stall at The Selvedge Spring Fair 2011 by Emma Lamb

So once folk started arriving at 10am it was a non-stop busy and fun day. There was a huge turnout and I wouldn't be surprised if nearly a thousand people came through that wee church hall on Saturday! There were one or two famous faces too, with Linda Barker sending a wee ruffle of excitement through the hall and particularly the Selvedge ladies! But I think the highlight for me was finally getting to meet some of my oldest and dearest blogging buddies for the first time. The ever so lovely Miss Monda who persuaded me to set up this very blog a few years ago and the very sweet Miss Tif who was the one who helped me kick start my own wee Etsy shop soon after! It was so great and easy to chat to these two dear ladies, as though we had been friends for a long time and weren't just meeting for the first time! I must not forget Miss Fran either who I have known for a wee while and who is always so generous with her kind comments over on my Flickr pages.

Oh, and thank you so much to everyone else who stopped by for a wee chat including the lovely Sam of Bella Blossom and the ladies from 'the women's room' who wrote a lovely wee post about the fair yesterday, thank you ladies! Also, I must not forget all you super sweet 'blog lurkers'... yeah, you know I'm talking to you!

The Selvedge Spring Fair 2011 by Emma Lamb
Handmade crochet cushion covers and Blossom flower garlands by Emma Lamb

I also had a pretty good day of sales too with the lovely Selma and Velma getting snapped up right away, as did three new Blossom garlands. Which is really great because I love making all of those and can't wait to get hooking on some new ones! I do still have lots of ladies hanging around here waiting for their own forever homes so they will be finding their way into my wee shop over the next few days. Keep an eye on my Facebook pages for the updates... :)

All in all it was a fabulous and exciting day and I'm so glad I did it, it really was worth all the hard work I put in before hand and it was so great to meet so many lovely people. So I want to say a huge thank you to the wonderful Selvedge ladies, particularly Michelle Zimmer, for inviting me along. It was an absolute pleasure and I would certainly jump at the chance to do it all again!

Emma, x

ps - I think the Selvedge ladies hired a photographer to document the day so I shall keep a wee eye out for these photos and let you know when you can see them.

Follow me! Follow my pins! Follow me on Instagram Follow me on Twitter Follow me on Ravelry Subscribe to my posts via Bloglovin Subscribe to my posts via RSS

36 comments

  1. oh my those cushions and garlands are so sweet! It looks like you had a fun and colorful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the fair, and your photos, look absolutely gorgeous!
    glad you had a great day there :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. it sounds as if it was amazing!! Jealous!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, it really was! I'm sure you will be there one day too with your gorgeous embroidery... :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your table looks beautiful. :)
    So glad it went well for you and that all your hard work paid off!
    Vivienne x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not surprised Selma and Velma got snapped up right away. They are so pretty.
    I was wondering who it was that said that they'd found you via me, and I think it was Gina - we had a bit of twitter chat about it the next day.
    Drop me an email if you want me to work on a stamp for your next fair - The Selvedge Christmas fair no doubt :o)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congatulations.
    Your table looks gorgeous, so bright and cheerful.
    I adore those pretty blossom garlands.


    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much Vivienne... ! x

    Thank you Mam, I'll be making more of those Blossom garlands very soon... :) x

    Thank you too my dear Miss Monda...
    I'm sure it was Gina too, she gave me her card and I've just popped by her website and saw her picture... :)
    Haha, the christmas fair... if I do get invited I'll have to pray for no snow! Can you imagine trying to get from one end of this country to the other if there's even a flutter... !?!?
    Once I get turned around, I'll drop you a wee note for a wee chat about stuff... :) x

    Emma, x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, I wish I could've been there! That looks like a fabulous time. Your table looked gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you my dear Amy! I wish you could have been there too, it would have great to meet you... although you kinda were there really as I was wearing my teal cuff that day... :) x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah Miss Emma, I've been dying to know how it all went and it sounds like you had a fabulous day! I'm so glad you got to meet some great blogging friends too finally ;) Not surprised you did so well as your garlands and cushions look absolutely gorgeous!! A grand day out for all and so sad I was so far away and couldn't be there. Oh the High Tea of Highgate Tearoom... I used to go there!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful display, Emma! Love the candy colors and sooo wish I could have been there to shop! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish we had fairs like these. It looks like you had a lovely day and it must've been so extremely inspiring to sit there and meeting other crafters!

    ReplyDelete
  14. your table is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on a great fair. Your stuff looks amazing and what a cute place the fair was held in, fantastic! Will start following you on FB defenately.
    Esther.

    ReplyDelete
  16. ...i'm in love with your cushions!, so nice...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Emma... yes it was me! (Gina) It was lovely to meet you, your stall looked amazing and I really wished I could have brought home one of your cushions. Pleased you had a successful day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Everything looks amazing. Wish I could have been there. x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Que c'est joli : j'aime toujours autant ce monde...
    How nice it is : I do like this atmosphere...

    ReplyDelete
  20. That fair looks amazing! Wow. So beautiful. and awesome that you got to catch some of your readers. Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Emma, you are so kind to post photos that truly do give a notion of what the Fair really looked like. I am delighted to hear that you had a fine day (and that you got to meet Gina, too.)

    Funny, but this evening's opening of my apartment building lobby's mailbox revealed the delivery of the Selvedge Localization edition.

    I would love to be able to get to their Christmas fair, particularly if you will be participating.

    Thank you for sharing with your readers that view of the fair. And, of course, also for all your inspiration.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Emma! Your table (and all of the lovely ladies lining it) looks gorgeous! Sounds like you had a wonderful day :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I do love all of your beautifully crafted items but the stand out to me is the most adorable blossom garlands..particularly the pink one! I'm so pleased that you had such an exciting time at the fair.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! your stall looks amazing. I wish I could have been there x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my heaven's to Betsy!!! I SO wish I could've gone to this....your booth looks like so much fun to sift through....the colors...the setting? It's all So lovely Emma! Nicely done, and hope you are well!
    :)
    t.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Emma. After being well and truly chastised for all that "blog lurking" I have done over the past 18mths I am proud to post my first comment.....It was lovely to meet you in person at the Spring Fair, to have a little chat about the best yarn mixes to crochet with and to see all your wonderful handiwork. Promise to pop by every now and again when passing your blog to say hello. Take care, Anya from Oxford.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello Miss Emma
    I am so envious that you have such lovely fairs across the pond. Miss Tif is a friend of mine and I saw her before she left for England and was so excited to read she got to see you at the fair - what a day it must have been. My husband said he will take me to England for next year's fair and I think I will hold him to it.

    Vickie in Seattle

    ReplyDelete
  28. So glad all that hard work was worth it and you thoroughly enjoyed the day. Looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh my! Thank you so much my dear lovely ladies, I really wish you all were able to come along for a wee chin wag and a yummy cake or two... :)

    Gina ~ as soon as I peeked at your website I knew it was you! Thank you for stopping by for a wee chat it was really lovely... :) x

    Anya ~ Yay!!! Thank you for being so brave and 'de-lurking' after all these months! thank you so much for coming down to the fair for a wee chat, it was so lovely to meet you too... :) I shall look forward to seeing more often around here... ;)

    Vickie ~ It was so wonderful to finally meet my old blogging buddy Miss Tif, she is just the sweetest lady! Yes it was a fabulous day and I do hope you are able to keep your husband to his promise... :)

    Huge hugs to all my blogging buddies... :)
    Emma, x

    ReplyDelete
  30. So gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. I LOVE the inspiration.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  31. so lovely to meet you emma! your stall looked beautiful. x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you Miss Fran! It was so lovely to meet you too... such a great day... :)
    Hope you have a fabulous weekend,
    Emma, x

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your stall looks fantastic, it must have been worth all that hard work to see it looking so beautiful! Thank you for giving a peek into what the Selvedge fair was like, maybe one day I'll get to go along...... too far from Glasgow to get there this time!

    ReplyDelete
  34. it looks amazing Emma. Hope all the hard work preparing was worth it. It looks that way.

    tielx

    ReplyDelete
  35. I just saw pics of your work in a facebook album of the Selvedge Fair - lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thank you so much for visiting my blog!

I would love for you to join in the discussion and share your opinions but please do your utmost to keep all comments polite and constructive. Please do not use this comments section as a way of self promotion, such comments will be considered as spam and will not be published.

I shall do my best to answer any questions when I am able but if you have any urgent enquiries please do email me at - emmallamb [at] gmail [dot] com

Emma