goblin king, goblin king!

River Wear, Durham, England | Emma Lamb

So as promised here are a few sunny pictures from our walk along the river in Durham last week, in the pic above you can just see the very top of Durham Cathedral behind the trees. Then if you look really closely you should be able to spot a stone throne on the river bank below the cathedral?


Here's a closer look...

It is a public sculpture created by the sculptor Colin Wilbourn in 1988 when he was artist in residence at the cathedral. Although when I first saw it I just assumed that it had been made with reclaimed sculptures found within the grounds of the cathedral itself, but of course I was wrong. If any few hundred year old carvings were found in such good condition as this I'm sure they wouldn't be left out on the river bank to be weathered by the elements?!

Kathedra : Colin Wilbourn, 1988 - Durham, England | Emma Lamb
Kathedra : Colin Wilbourn, 1988 - Durham, England | Emma Lamb
Kathedra : Colin Wilbourn, 1988 - Durham, England | Emma Lamb

Even so, I am absolutely fascinated with all these wonderful faces (as was my camera which kept doing the face recognition thingy, much to my amusement!) as it reminds me of one of my most favourite childhood (and adulthood) films - Labyrinth!

Kathedra : Colin Wilbourn, 1988 - Durham, England | Emma Lamb
Kathedra : Colin Wilbourn, 1988 - Durham, England | Emma Lamb
Kathedra : Colin Wilbourn, 1988 - Durham, England | Emma Lamb

I'm wondering if it was in any way influenced by the film which was released in 1986, two years before this sculpture was put on display. My suspicions were raised by this last picture of a face hidden at the very bottom amongst all the weeds, surely I'm not the only one who thinks it bears an uncanny resemblance to one of the talking door knockers (the one on the right with the ring in it's mouth)?! Maybe a 'homage' to the film or maybe it is just me?!

Kathedra : Colin Wilbourn, 1988 - Durham, England | Emma Lamb

Anyhoo, now we're back to the title of this post and the huge crush I had on David Bowie, aka Jareth the Goblin King, after watching this fabulous film... *swoon*

Emma, x

ps - I've put more pics up on my flickr pages if you'd like to see?!

Follow me! Follow my pins! Follow me on Instagram Follow me on Twitter Follow me on Ravelry Subscribe to my posts via Bloglovin Subscribe to my posts via RSS

8 comments

  1. I love this sculpture, it's fascinating. And I too was a huge fan of Labirynth and Mr Bowie....big swoon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo yes Labyrinth *sigh* fab film, you can't beat a bit of escapism! Love The Dark Crystal as well x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Kirsty, Dark Crystal is up there too, as is Legend... although I had more of a crush on Tim curry as the devil rather that Tom Cruise as the Hero!
    Emma x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fascinating sculpture.. Definitely reminiscent of Labyrinth - whether intended or not!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guilty as well. Still have a crush on him. :)
    Great sculpture, definitely Labyrinth-esk. Lovely blue skies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best movie! That sculpture is so intricate. I love how the faces are styled on older gargoyle faces.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, it's very Labyrinth-like!
    I saw movie for the first time only a few years ago but I loved it so much I insisted that my boyfriend dress as Ludo for Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Labyrinth!! My fiancee and I love that movie. I remember watching it as a kid and not being too too scared. David Bowie is just... indescribable in that movie!

    What a cool goblin kind throne.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thank you so much for visiting my blog!

I would love for you to join in the discussion and share your opinions but please do your utmost to keep all comments polite and constructive. Please do not use this comments section as a way of self promotion, such comments will be considered as spam and will not be published.

I shall do my best to answer any questions when I am able but if you have any urgent enquiries please do email me at - emmallamb [at] gmail [dot] com

Emma