on my desk today...

...a red poker deck...

...we have lots of these strewn around the house as my man is an amateur card magician ~ i'm not sure he's going to appreciate being called 'amateur', but what i mean is it's his hobby, am i digging myself out of this hole or what!?
...anyway, the point is i thought i should find a use for these as they keep piling up. you see, a deck can only take a couple of weeks of (ab)use before it gets battered and not so good for performing tricks, and most people he knows have already been gifted a few decks and aren't in need of any more. lots go off to recycling, but me being a hoarder and a crafter still sees this is a bit of a waste of something with pretty and festive potential...
...so feeling inspired i got busy this morning...

...obviously a punch would be much quicker and easier, but i don't have one so i had to make do...

...i used the back edge of the plate as a measure to evenly space each wee disc, although i was in no way precise about this!

...if you want the details ~ i think i used around 50 discs, but lost a couple as my sewing machine snagged and ripped them, and i think it turned out about 3m long...
...i'm quite pleased with the result, but i'm not sure if i want to drape it around the tree or hang it across the wall. hmmm, well now i know how i'll be spending my afternoon ;)

emma
x

25 comments :

  1. They look fab! Such a great idea. I've been thinking garlands too. what I love about yours is that they would look great all throughout the year!
    I feel positively inspired now! Now if I could only do something about the complete lack of time...Sigh....

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you sarah!
    i think this is one of the quickest crafty projects you could make... if you had a punch (any shape would do) i'm sure you could whip one of these up in less than an hour... even while you are watching tv!
    emma
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, that turned out really neat, Emma! Creative upcycling :) Thanks for your little note on my blog--yes, I'm feeling better now! Expect a nice long email from me very soon :)
    xo,
    Ivy

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE IT! Great idea!!! I am inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a smart lady you are! Presto, chango ... once you begin to think of various paper circle possibilities to chain ... no limits to the decorative possibilities.

    Thank you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Emma what a gorgeous idea!! The cards look completely different when used like this in a garland! Smart to use the sewing machine, I made a paper flower garland last year and stringed them on thin wire but the sewing machine is a better option. Although, I have to say, my old Bernina is - to my grief - not happy to sew/embroider on paper... But I´ll give it a try next time!

    Enjoy Christmastime, bye bye

    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are awesome! What a great idea, but it might make the magic tricks a little harder, don't ya think?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous idea! I have an adorable pink deck around here somewhere. Think I'll try to find it!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  9. that is a fab idea! I have the punch but alas, no sewing machine ha!

    btw, I found you on the front page of etsy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a great idea Emma... LOVE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What fun!I saw them on Flickr too- really great !
    Annamaria :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. thats such a clever idea. Sometimes I find old decks with fun graphics that have cards missing. This is a great reuse!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi emma,
    nice to see you playing along on thursday! love your work and shop.
    your garland is a great use of cards for sure :)
    belinda

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous idea...made lots of these for Christmas in a rainbow of colours and old books along with snowflakes and star
    But love the playing card version
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is just great. i might just make one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a cool idea, Emma! Have a great holiday :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. ooh I love this! I have a thing for garlands at the moment.

    Monda
    x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fantastic!! Since I'm in the same boat as you in terms of the sheer number of discarded decks of cards in my house I think I might follow your lead :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. hehe! Sharon, before you know it we'll both be drowning in these garlands... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are too awesome! Great for a ALICE IN WONDERLAND theme party too! Thank you for posting this!!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thank you so much for visiting my blog!

I would love for you to join in the discussion and share your opinions but please do your utmost to keep all comments polite and constructive. Please do not use this comments section as a way of self promotion, such comments will be considered as spam and will not be published.

I shall do my best to answer any questions when I am able but if you have any urgent enquiries please do email me at - emmallamb [at] gmail [dot] com

Wishing you a fabulous day!
Emma, x