crochet crush : Jo Hamilton

Chevonne Ball, crochet portrait by Jo Hamilton | Emma Lamb

I can't believe I've only just discovered the crochet talent of Jo Hamilton!


Jon Bones Anderson, crochet portrait by Jo Hamilton | Emma Lamb
Bryon in progress, crochet portrait by Jo Hamilton | Emma Lamb

How incredible are these portraits!? I'm utterly fascinated by her attention to colour and detail, and how she has captured such a wonderful sense of depth and character. I would really love to see one of these pieces up close to read the stitches and study the construction. I think it's probably lost a wee bit in these images, but they must have an wonderful texture too?!

Jo's house, crochet landscape by Jo Hamilton | Emma Lamb
I crochet Portland, crochet landscape by Jo Hamilton | Emma Lamb

Even though her portraits are something quite special I think my favourite piece has to be this city scape of Portland, I'm completely mesmerised by the mix of colours and the geometry of the whole piece. If you check out her website you can see more of her crochet pieces alongside some of her drawings and paintings. Info is a wee bit thin on the ground, but as far as I can tell she studied at Glasgow School of Art and now exhibits in the US. If anyone knows any more about details please do share them in the comments - thank you!

I do beleive that if I ever have my portrait done it's going to have to be in crochet and maybe made into a granny cushion, or possibly a pot holder, what do you think!?

Emma, x

Follow me! Follow my pins! Follow me on Instagram Follow me on Twitter Follow me on Ravelry Subscribe to my posts via Bloglovin Subscribe to my posts via RSS

12 comments

  1. Fascinating work Emma- I agree , it would be quite something to have one's portrait done in crochet...!But the 'cityscape' is my favourite-what fun!
    Annamaria :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!!! These are all absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing work! I came across it once before and was so impressed by her portraits. This is the first that I've seen her cityscapes, which are equally interesting. I guess it's all done freeform??
    xo,
    Ivy

    ps--I can SO see you getting a portrait done in crochet--the perfect medium!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are incredible. Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cityscape is my favourite by far. It's incredible.

    I think you should definitely go for the portrait cushion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm... amazing technique indeed! I have to say I prefer the cityscape to the portraits.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know I think I remember seeing this amazingly talented work on an Etsy blog feature - thae are out of this world incredible!!! I feel like an under achiever looking at work like this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have had the opportunity to see a couple of pieces in person, they are wild to see. Looking close up then backing away, it's pretty amazing. Even though I think she lives in my city, I don't know much about her. I may have to investigate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my... I'm in love! They are so incredible. Thanks for the link Emma :) K

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoa! These are amazing! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing artwork! I say it's artwork because it's really an art. Wonderful, it's really a talent.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thank you so much for visiting my blog!

I would love for you to join in the discussion and share your opinions but please do your utmost to keep all comments polite and constructive. Please do not use this comments section as a way of self promotion, such comments will be considered as spam and will not be published.

I shall do my best to answer any questions when I am able but if you have any urgent enquiries please do email me at - emmallamb [at] gmail [dot] com

Emma