studio details : fabric as far as the eye can see

Wow! This week seems to have flown by, I can't believe it's desk thursday already!

studio details : fabric as far as the eye can see | Emma Lamb

Getting back into working with fabric and thread has been a bit of a slow start for me. I did have a wee burst of inspiration and managed a few designs after this post, but then I seemed to run into a brick wall. One that felt almost a hundred feet high! I'm sure you all know what it's like!? You have deadlines looming, bills that need paying, work that really should have been done yesterday and no matter what you do the ideas just don't flow. The only thing you can do is walk away from it, pick up your hook and crochet away the stress.


Then a couple of days ago I read this post on paper 'n' stitch, and I think to myself 'it's a long time since I've kept a sketchbook'. And I mean a real sketchbook and not just a note book or journal. A real sketchbook where you doodle, play and experiment with ideas and techniques, not just a little book where you quickly note down ideas just so you don't forget them, or fasten in bits of stray paper so they don't get lost.

But then that little nagging voice in your head chirps up to say 'you haven't got time, just get on with some work'. So I think to myself 'Right! I shall tidy my desk and rearrange my fabrics'. That always clears my head and I always find a forgotten fabric that triggers my creative thoughts...

Hmmm, still nothing...

So I call up a lovely friend for a good chat and she tells me just what I need to hear 'Do it! Go and play, experiment with fabric and thread, forget the rules, clash colours and textures, improvise and let the moment guide you!'

studio details : fabric as far as the eye can see | Emma Lamb
studio details : fabric as far as the eye can see | Emma Lamb

So for the next few days I am going to be happily sitting at my desk with some good tunes, plenty of tea and chocolate, and a needle and thread in hand working on my 'fabric sketchbook'. Because as Brittni put it 'sketching can be just as important, if not more important than finished works'.

If you made it to the end of this ramble, thank you! I hope you are all having a fabulous creative day and if you are feeling a wee bit stuck give yourself a break and indulge yourself!

See you all in a few days with a crochet update and maybe a peek of some of my experiments!
Emma, x

Follow me! Follow my pins! Follow me on Instagram Follow me on Twitter Follow me on Ravelry Subscribe to my posts via Bloglovin Subscribe to my posts via RSS

14 comments

  1. Hello Emma. Go for it! Enjoy this time - I feel sure much will come out of it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw your blog name on an Aussie site...glad I popped in..love your fabric stash & your Crocheting...I am Envious....Great Blog...love what you are doing with your Stitching...
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always think hitting a wall is actually your creative self in construction mode and that it won't be long before something totally different and innovative and wow pops out!! That's my theory anyway!! P.S. Will be keeping close tabs on your blog over the next few days in the hopes of seeing that cutie freshly shawn!! Have a lovely weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, fun and interesting discoveries can be made just by playing with out a planned outcome. What you have already got here looks fantastic! Can't wait to see more.

    Thanks for your lovely words about my crochet ripple throw and my hankie holder! Would you believe my mother saw it and has ordered four for friends of hers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The hankie holder, not the ripple crochet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, know exactly how you feel. I'm trying to photograph everything at the moment, and am feeling all photographed out!

    Haven't made anything for a while and feeling rather blue creatively :(

    I think I need to do the sketchbook thing........

    Anyhoo enough of me moaning! glad you're getting creative, love your desk & space; love your work and love the glimpses of your experiments so far!! ;0 X

    ReplyDelete
  7. such true words while the images here speak just as strong~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love Love the fabric stash!!! I hope you thoroughly enjoy your on a whim somewhat random exciting crafty time...Your work is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate that brick wall. You're right though, there's nothing for it but to take time out and crochet. Inspiration always comes again. It looks like you are moving through it with all the gorgeousness in this post. Definitely give yourself permission just to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you can knock down that wall. I love your favorites on Etsy. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, Emma!

    Thanks for your sweet comments:)
    And I'm glad to see your creative space again!!
    White desk and colorful fabrics are so lovely ♪

    I want to have such a nice place like your desk...

    ReplyDelete
  12. sound advice your friend gave you...and i know what you mean. I began a diary, a couple of times now...too much time in between them and tasted changing but i emerged the two and still find it hard to just be...some days we really need to throw order, routine, needs to the wind...and let it be... Your creative space is luring me..hee hee
    Happy day :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Emma,

    I have been meaning to start up a sketch book for the last couple of months now, but alas procrastination & wanted to just sit & do my sewing as meant that nothing has been doodled in its pages! Thanks to this post you have now motivated me to put pencil to page & start a squiggle or two over this Easter long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful Miss Leela! I am so happy you have found the inspiration you needed in this post today... happy doodling! xx

      Delete

Hello and thank you so much for visiting my blog!

I would love for you to join in the discussion and share your opinions but please do your utmost to keep all comments polite and constructive. Please do not use this comments section as a way of self promotion, such comments will be considered as spam and will not be published.

I shall do my best to answer any questions when I am able but if you have any urgent enquiries please do email me at - emmallamb [at] gmail [dot] com

Emma